Information‎ > ‎

Work Permits

Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. This includes home-schoolers. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.

 In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:

   1. enrolled in school 
   2. not habitually truant or under suspension; and
   3. passing a majority of courses during  the current grading period.

Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any minor under 16 years old to work. 

Process for applying:

·      Bring all required information (below) to the MDIRSS Superintendent’s Office, located in the same building as Mount 
    Desert Island High School.
·      Fill out the application, which requires a birth parent signature.
·      Once the application is complete, the superintendent’s office will send the application to the Department of Labor Standards for approval.
·      Once the Department of Labor Standards has approved the permit, it will be sent back to the Superintendent’s Office to forward to the employer.
·      A minor may not start working until the employer has received an approved work permit from the Department of Labor Standards.  

Information required to complete the application: 
·      Town and State where the minor was born
·       Name and industry of business where the minor will be working
·      Mailing address and phone number of the business
·      Name of contact person at the business
·      Specific description of what the minor will be doing (washing dishes, cashier, bagging groceries, etc.)

For more specific information, please check the Maine Department of Labor Standards website: