· Bring all required information (below) to the MDIRSS Superintendent’s Office, located in the same building as Mount
Minors under 16 years old must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. This includes home-schoolers. They must get a new permit every time they begin a new job until they reach 16 years old, even if they work for their parents.
In order to apply for a work permit, the minor must be:
1. enrolled in
Employers must have a stamped, approved work permit on file before allowing any minor under 16 years old to work.
Desert Island High School.
· Fill out the application, which requires a birth parent signature.
· Once the application is complete, the superintendent’s office will send the application to the Department of Labor Standards for approval.
· Once the Department of Labor Standards has approved the permit, it will be sent back to the Superintendent’s Office to forward to the employer.
· A minor may not start working until the employer has received an approved work permit from the Department of Labor Standards.
Information required to complete the application:
· Town and State where the minor was born
· Name and industry of business where the minor will be working
· Mailing address and phone number of the business
· Name of contact person at the business
· Specific description of what the minor will be doing (washing dishes, cashier, bagging groceries, etc.)
For more specific information, please check the Maine Department of Labor Standards website: http://www.maine.gov/labor/labor_laws/publications/minorsguide.html#Poster